Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Onward and upward

If there's one thing I've learnt at recent fairs and events, it's that there's no point in going backwards. I started mainly at school fairs as they are generally cheaper, so not as much financial risk if I didn't sell as many books. But experience has shown that each time I step up to a new level, ie a bigger and consequently more expensive fair, I do better. There are some well established craft fairs in and around York with a diverse crowd of people passing through from all over the world, and with a large footfall my sales have increased.

The secret to making a profit from self-publishing is simple - keep the overheads down, and sell each book at a profit. What isn't so simple is getting those books out in large enough numbers to make a living...

No comments: