Monday, April 01, 2013

What makes a best seller...?

Here at Lost in a Book I have a best seller - But I'm Not Sleepy out sells all the other books at every event I go to - so why is that...?

Is it the title that draws people to it? Every parent or grandparent has heard the words "But I'm not sleepy" and can relate to it. But not many remember - or admit to remembering... saying those same words when they were little. How many of us remember being sent to bed when the sun is still shining, with our heads still full of all the important things we still have to do...?

Or is it the picture on the cover...? When I did the illustration for the cover I wondered how people would react to the picture of a little girl jumping on the bed - whether it would put them off or attract the fun side of their imagination.


Counting sheep is a well known idea for achieving sleep - but what if the sheep then cause troubles of their own...?


So what makes a best seller? 

  • A title that grabs attention
  • A cover that appeals
  • A great story
  • A touch of good luck...

No comments: