Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Self publishing, and why I'm not trudging around the bookshops with my books

My new books are here and ready for sale, so why am I not out there trying to get my books into the bookshops?

Well it's a case of been there, done that, and taken the losses when the bookshops go out of business, and it's not just the small shops, it's the big boys too. Why do bookshops expect to  take their stock on sale or return? I don't order a print run on sale or return, I buy in what I'm confident of selling.

So my position is, I'm happy to sell to bookshops, or supply to them through distributors, but I'n not pushing my books on sale or return anymore.

So my books will be selling mainly from my website and book signings. I'll sign  books for that personal touch, and I'll hand number all copies of my first print run of Outnumbered by Cats, as it's a short print run of just 100 books.

Why such a short print run? Because it's been quite an expensive project to do, it's got colour inserts containing 82 colour photos, and that was after some hard editing down. But the good news is that if you're quick it's at a launch price of just £7.99!

No comments: