Thursday, August 21, 2014

First draft artwork, making a mess and MONSTERS!!

After a morning of messing around with paint, I've decided that I like that first dabble at the artwork for a new book - I suppose it's a bit like a first draft of a book, but the picture bit instead of the words. The point being it's a time to let the imagination run wild, accept that I'm going to make a mess, and just dive in and make a start...

It did cross my mind as I was painting the main character, that the fact that she's a girl is going to put off some customers; though why parents think they can't buy a book for boys just because it has a girl on the cover is beyond me... Her teddy bear is a boy - if that's any help...

Anyway if I haven't already put half the readers (or at least their parents) off by writing a story about a girl, then I'm going to really tip the rest over the edge by writing a story with monsters in... Yes - Monsters - arghhhh!

I stand by the belief that kids love monsters, especially when the character overcomes them - and they usually do you know, especially in kids books - we're not out to terrify them you know...

No comments: