Friday, November 15, 2013

Christmas gifts - books for kids

What could be better for a Christmas gift than a book?

Books are timeless, and I can't ever remember a Christmas without a new book to read.

They're escapism, when you just want to curl up in a quiet corner and disappear into a world of your own.

They're to share, when you read a special  Christmas book to children. My favourite has always been The Night Before Christmas. I can remember the paperback copy I had read to me every year throughout my childhood, there was a Santa on the cover and his hat was all fuzzy - it's faded now, but it's still bright red in my memory.

We had a hardback copy for my children, and it was joined every year by new festive reads. I remember reading Mog's Christmas for the first time, I had to keep stopping because I was laughing too much to go on as Mog described the Christmas tree as it came up the drive, and then made itself all pretty.

I like to have at least one new festive read every year, and this year Just for Christmas is already sat on my bookshelf awaiting my attention. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to slip into Christmas yet, maybe I'll give it a week or two, I don't want to peak too soon...

Pictures from my Christmas book: Lost in the Christmas Post

"What are Christmas cards?" asked Iver Jumping into one of the cards. He sank up to his knees.
There was something not quite right about the cards...
Iver No-Idea doesn't mean to disrupt the Christmas preparations, but he does seem to cause his own brand of chaos.

No comments: