Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Making a mess

How is it that when I do a book signing at a fair, I'm usually the last to arrive, but never the last to finish setting up. I'm organised and ready to talk to passing people and sign books.

Why then, did signing and packing books on my kitchen table become a scene of total chaos? By the time I fetched my assortment of padded envelopes to actually pack the books, there was nowhere left to put them but the floor, where a passing cat wondered whether to walk on them or stay and destroy them - luckily he chose not to destroy them, he probably saw that I had already surpassed him in messing the place up...

Finally the books were in envelopes, all containing a card with a message on (hopefully all to the same people as the outer envelope was addressed to...) and all that remained was to clear the table.

It occured to me as I packed away, that this was the worst and the best part of working from a kitchen table:
Worst because I have to clear everything away at the end of the day.
 Best because I have to clear everything away at the end of the day, and so, have a clear table to start a new mess everyday.

No comments: